Re: Confidence (was: Geopriv WG - meeting 5-6 Jun, other news)

From: James M. Polk ^lt;jmpolk@cisco.com>
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 20:19:31 EDT

At 11:23 AM 5/17/2002 -0600, Zmolek, Andrew (Andrew) wrote:
>Richard Shockey wrote:
>....<snip>....but let's keep in mind
>that confidence might also be expressible in terms of intelligence that can
>infer location indirectly (i.e. based on what I know I'm 70% sure you are in
>your office right now).

I'm troubled by this reasoning or direction the meaning is (might) take --
as I can foresee this confidence percentage directly and
non-deterministically affecting the accuracy value when also present.

Accuracy is a purposeful fudging of the exact location.

Confidence is the best guess with a percentage of where a Location Target is.

If both are present in the reply, then the requestee gets to graph a curve
of if they believe the answer was (close to being) right or not.

Conceivably, I can see the actual location being an order of magnitude from
the location object delivered -- and then what's the point of this
exercise? Plus, the accuracy value known to the Rule Maker isn't even
correct in fudging the location delivered....

>If this intelligence wasn't derived by signal
>triangulation or GPS, than confidence measurement is a bit more subjective.
>
>--Andy Zmolek
> Technology & Standards Engineer
> CTO Standards
> Avaya Inc.
>
> zmolek@avaya.com
> +1 720 444 4001
> sip:zmolek@avaya.com

*************************************
"People generally demand more respect for their own rights than they are
willing to allow for others"

James M. Polk
Senior Consulting Engineer
Office of the CTO

Cisco Systems
2200 East President George Bush Turnpike
Richardson, TX 75082 USA
w) 972.813.5208
f) 972.813.5280
www.cisco.com