Re: Geopriv WG - meeting 5-6 Jun, other news

From: Aleksandar Gogic ^lt;agogic@qualcomm.com>
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 20:54:55 EDT

At 07:27 PM 5/21/2002 -0500, James M. Polk wrote:
>At 06:59 PM 5/17/2002 -0700, Aleksandar Gogic wrote:
> >>

> >>First let me thank you for a very thoughtful answer ..this is exactly the
> >>kind of proper technical discussion I've been hoping to see here.

> >"Vector" may be a slight improvement, but perhaps more appropriate terms
> >would be those used in aviation (navigation), such as "Heading" (relative
> >to True North). Along the same lines ... "horizontal velocity" and
> >"vertical velocity".
>
>These 3 terms are quite acceptable to me in this context.

Taking advantage of this constructive momentum, and perhaps at a risk of
terminology excess, let me add one more term I have been thinking about for
the last couple of days.

The term is Azimuth, and can be roughly defined as orientation of the
object, again relative to True North. The term is related to Heading,
albeit a little different. While Heading is tangential vector of the
object's trajectory, azimuth can be defined for a stationary object, and
can be somewhat different than heading for a moving object, e.g. due to
wind direction affecting flying objects, or due to possibility of moving
sideways.

I have already heard of some electronic hand-held or vehicle mounted
product announcements that contain inexpensive magnetic or gyroscopic
devices, which can be used to determine orientation or azimuth (either term
is fine with me). Knowledge of azimuth can be helpful in some geo-location
applications.

Before we firm up these terms, I am having second thoughts of which of them
is which. It's been a while since I worked on navigation projects, but I
should be able to check this by the time of the June 5-6 meeting.

Alex

>*************************************
>"People generally demand more respect for their own rights than they are
>willing to allow for others"
>
>James M. Polk
>Senior Consulting Engineer
>Office of the CTO
>
>Cisco Systems
>2200 East President George Bush Turnpike
>Richardson, TX 75082 USA
>w) 972.813.5208
>f) 972.813.5280
>www.cisco.com