Re: full integrity?

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine ^lt;brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 18:31:31 EDT

> It's better to think of this as varying degrees of accuracy. Rather than
> telling somebody you are in Kansas, when in fact you are in New York, just
> tell them you are somewhere in North America. You still keep them in the
> dark regarding your exact whereabouts. It's only a question of how dark is
> dark enough.

I first thought about these problems when commuting from Portland (Maine),
to Nokia Research (Mass), which involved about 30 minutes of residency in
(no sales tax) New Hampshire. Asserting I (or rather, an edge device) was
in New Hampshire wasn't the same thing as proving I (or it) was in a tax
haven. Asserting I was at work (Nokia Research had draconian attendance
issues) when I was in fact frolicing in the Bahamas seemed interesting too.

As Randall observed in a seperate reply to Dan Greening, our business is
not accuracy or truth, but representation of "locale", which may be made in
universal coordinate system(s) contexts, or reference to a agreed well-known
location, and discretionary access, and the usual considerations.

Eric