Re: full integrity?

From: John W Noerenberg II ^lt;jwn2@qualcomm.com>
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 16:50:49 EDT

At 5:39 PM -0400 5/23/02, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
>I would imagine that most protocols that carry geopriv information
>will be capable of carrying multiple objects of the same type.
>Examples: 822-like headers or MIME bodies. Since you may have
>different policy embedded for each location, you end up replicating
>the whole thing anyway, to be fully general. Thus, this seems like
>something best left to the "transport" mechanism. If the
>thingie-to-be is XML, having multiple top-level tags is just a DTD
>or schema matter. In general, I don't think this is a major
>constraint. Usually, adding "one more" at any level of the hierarchy
>isn't that hard unless you have to try to express complicated
>relationships between the items.

Eventually there are practical considerations governing the number of
bits that can be usefully sent. But sending multiple instances of a
location object shouldn't be prohibited, I agree.

Similarly, there are practical limits to representing the precision
of the location. After all, it takes time to calculate the position
and update it as needed, and the precision is a function of the time
needed for the calculation. But just as with the number of
locations, the ability to report position with varying precision
shouldn't be prohibited.

>Randall Gellens wrote:
>

>>If I do want the service, and if I need to provide location within
>>some minimum accuracy in order to get it, one possible approach is
>>to say "OK, here are x locations as accurate as you wanted. Give
>>me the service for all x."

The client requesting the location object(s) has the opportunity to
decide how it will choose to react to this response, just as it would
if no location objects are returned, or if the response doesn't meet
precision requirements for the service.

Whether or not Alice lies about the precision of her location or the
number of locations she has is beside the point of whether or not she
can respond with variable precision or a variable number of
locations. In the same fashion how Bob interprets Alice's location
information is not the issue.

However, the protocol must include a way for the requester to specify
constraints on the location report. Similarly, the protocol must
include a way for the responder to specify constraints on the
location request. For both the requester and the responder, the
constraints must include the number of location objects and the
precision of each object.

--
john noerenberg
jwn2@qualcomm.com