Re: FW: Potential Location Summit

From: James M. Polk ^lt;jmpolk@cisco.com>
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 17:07:40 EDT

Dan

To further what Behcet stated, all IETF meetings must be announced 30 days
in advance and literally anyone can attend. So it might be the case here
where you might need to coordinate with the WG chairs (Allison and Randy,
listed below) on a proposed date of this meeting -- announce it to this
list and see how many want to attend from the IETF. There were 15 attending
our Interim meeting this week in San Diego.

At 01:49 PM 6/7/2002 -0500, Behcet Sarikaya wrote:
>Hi Dan,
> It seems that you are not familiar with how IETF works.
>IETF Geopriv WG's charter is at:
>http://ietf.org/html.charters/geopriv-charter.html
>which states that Allison Mankin and Randall Gellens are co-chairs. All
>others are members of this WG. So there is no one to represent this WG
>or the co-chairs and any member (which is open to public, including
>yourself, i.e. anybody can be a member at any time) can represent
>Geopriv WG.
> Regards,
>

>Dan Greening wrote:
>
>>We are looking for someone to represent the IETF Geopriv group. We
>>believe (though if we are wrong, please set me straight) that this is
>>the only active group in IETF dealing with location.
>>
>>We're not going to make any earth-shattering decisions, i.e. there won't
>>be any votes or anything like that, but we want to make sure that the
>>efforts of the different groups are at least well-understood, and if
>>possible coordinated to reduce the overall effort and maximize the total
>>value of the effort.
>>
>>LIF, OGC, WAP Forum, OMA, 3GPP and GSMA have lots of informal and formal
>>connections that ensure, or attempt to ensure, that we come up with
>>harmonious standards and reduce the overall workload and produce better
>>standards. We'd like to have at least an informal communication path
>>with IETF Geopriv. This will likely benefit IETF Geopriv, even if the
>>IETF Geopriv attendee's only function is to observe.
>>
>>So in other words, we'd like someone who can fairly represent the work
>>of people in the group, has a good handle on what the group's likely
>>accomplishments might be, and can communicate back to IETF Geopriv about
>>how that location summit proceeded. We can probably accommodate
>>multiple attendees from IETF Geopriv.
>>
>>Anyway, we just want to get a sense whether you'd support it, attend,
>>etc.
>>
>>Dan Greening, Ph.D. CEO, BigTribe Corporation
>> 330 Townsend Street, Suite 209, San Francisco, CA
>>94107-1662
>> greening@bigtribe.com +1(415)995-7151 fax 995-7155

*************************************
"People generally demand more respect for their own rights than they are
willing to allow for others"

James M. Polk
Senior Consulting Engineer
Office of the CTO

Cisco Systems
2200 East President George Bush Turnpike
Richardson, TX 75082 USA
w) 972.813.5208
f) 972.813.5280
www.cisco.com