Re: [Geopriv] Geopriv for emergency calls

From: Jonathan Rosenberg ^lt;jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 22:55:17 EST

Peterson, Jon wrote:

> Right. It has always seemed reasonable to me that one might not want to use
> S/MIME in emergency cases. I don't think there needs to be any change in our
> existing specifications to accommodate this.
>
> The security concern that has always struck me in these cases is that the
> caller should have some capability to authenticate the selective router. Of
> course, if we already want TLS to preserve confidentiality of the request,
> the certificate presented by the selective router would serve to
> authenticate it to the user agent client. So provided there's some text (in
> whatever document this will be) about using TLS, I'll be happy.

This assumes that the client talks directly to the "SR proxy", so to
say. However, from Brian's note I read that there would be potentially
two separate routing decisions made at potentially two separate
proxies, both of which needed location information. So, I dont see how
the caller can use TLS to authenticate the SR.

-Jonathan R.

--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711