Re: [Sip] Re: [Geopriv] SIP Location Conveyance: dereferencing location-by-reference

From: Andrew Newton ^lt;andy@hxr.us>
Date: Wed Jul 19 2006 - 12:51:13 EDT

James M. Polk wrote:
> At 05:25 PM 7/18/2006 -0400, Andrew Newton wrote:
>> What happens when a client gets a subscribable location reference URI
>> via the L7-LCP,
>
> you mean a SIP or SIPS URI?
>
> You expect SIP to be a dereference capable protocol? Why?

I actually didn't mention SIP as the dereference protocol. What I am
asking is which dereference protocol with a subscription mechanism are
you going to specify? Or should implementers assume XMPP for this
feature? :)

>> and puts that into a Location header in an INVITE?
>
> INVITEs don't do subscriptions, SUBSCRIBEs do, so this L7 value put into
> a Location header that's in an INVITE wouldn't create a subscription in
> the first place.

Thanks for the clarification, but I was talking about the dereference
being orchestrated via subscription rather than polling. I wasn't
really talking about the conveyance itself, other than to ask how a
conveyee is to know what to do with the reference.

> The above offering is to make sure dereferencing is done with
> HTTP/HTTPS, not SIP.

I know, which is why I asked...

>> How is the subscription done with HTTP?

-andy