RE: [Geopriv] draft-hdesinen-geopriv-pidflo-extn-00.txt

From: Ted Hardie ^lt;hardie@qualcomm.com>
Date: Fri Jul 21 2006 - 13:56:00 EDT

At 10:28 AM -0400 7/21/06, Brian Rosen wrote:
>Well, there seems to be some differences of opinion on what happens with PS
>emergency calls in 3GPP, but regardless, I think we have the ground covered.
>
>The general direction for IETF support of emergency calling is that the
>access network tells the endpoint where it is, and the endpoint tells the
>PSAP where it is (also the routing element).

As I've pointed out before, there are cases where the endpoint knows
its location without reference to an access network action; it may know
it because of a location technology (e.g. GPS) unrelated to the network.

The key point in all of the mass I've elided below is that we don't want
to have to invent relationships among providers. There are cases where
the access network and voice service provider are the same; there are cases
where they have existing business agreements; there are cases where they do
not. The only consistent, unifying aspect of their interaction is that they share
a customer. Making it possible for the customer to be the conduit for any
interaction eliminates creating or modifying existing business agreements.

None of that prevents any additional interaction when the two networks
are the same or have an existing relationship; it simply establishes a baseline
that will work whether they do or don't.

                                Ted Hardie