RE: [Geopriv] Consensus on changes to location-conveyance

From: Rosen, Brian ^lt;Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz>
Date: Tue Jul 25 2006 - 15:50:14 EDT

When the original PIDF-LO RFC came out, location-by-reference was
defined.

You have a URI. You can exchange the URI for location. There is a
protocol defined for that purpose (SIP SUBSCRIBE). That is location by
reference. It also serves as the location update mechanism, clearly
something we need.

Some day, there may be other location URI references. We don't need to
cover them in this draft. The basic location by reference horse has
left the barn. Were you planning on creating an RFC that specifically
disallows a Subscribe on a sip/sips/pres URI to get location? THAT WAS
THE POINT OF MAKING IT PART OF A PIDF.

I do think there is some value in defining a way to express a
location-by-reference aka presence URI which is not just the AoR. That
is one reason why I want to define the Location URI as being able to
contain a sip/sips/pres URI. The purpose is to allow a UA or a proxy to
insert location where there is no association between the identity of
the SIP user and the location.

But that is all I think we need.

We have a requirement for proxy insertion of location. If we disallow
location-by-reference (which I think is a good idea in general, but
futile in practice), then we would need something like the Data URI to
support location insertion by proxy. If we DO allow
location-by-reference, then it also serves to meet the location
insertion by proxy requirement, and we don't need the Data URI. We're
looking for a use case which requires proxy insertion by value, but
haven't heard one yet.

You can make an argument that you can take the From:, assume it's an
AoR, and SUBSCRIBE to the presence of that AoR to get location, thus not
needing a Location header. I really think letting the Location header
specify an alternate presence URI is a good idea.