Re: [Geopriv] WGLC on draft-ietf-geopriv-l7-lcp-ps-00

From: Andrew Newton ^lt;andy@hxr.us>
Date: Fri Feb 09 2007 - 10:32:55 EST

Guy, thanks for the feedback. My comment below:

On Feb 8, 2007, at 11:29 PM, g.caron@bell.ca wrote:
> 1) My first comment is more semantic and is relative to the choice
> of "Location Configuration Protocol (LCP)" for the generic term to
> describe L7-based protocols.
>
> This terminology has been used for a specific protocol proposed
> within this working group creating ambiguity as to what exactly is
> being referenced.
>
> Why "configuration"? Aren't we talking about protocols performing
> "Location Acquisition"?
>
> The word "configuration" does not jive IMO, with the 2 roles
> described in section 1.
>
> Therefore, I would personally prefer "L7 Location Acquisition
> Protocol".

What do you call a protocol that coordinates measurements from
different sensors to determine location? I would think "location
acquisition protocol" better describes that. A "location
configuration protocol" doesn't determine a location, it merely
configures an IP host with its location, just like an IP host might
configured with its IP address and domain name.

-andy