Re: [Geopriv] Geopriv L7 LCP: New Requirement

From: Andrew Newton ^lt;andy@hxr.us>
Date: Tue Feb 13 2007 - 15:44:06 EST

On Feb 13, 2007, at 3:01 PM, Stark, Barbara wrote:

> I agree, that it's absolutely possible, through existing TLS
> mechanisms.

Well, that and PIDF-LO and SIP.

> While DSL lines don't (or shouldn't) move, the L2TP tunnel, or
> router port, where traffic for a given DSL customer comes into an
> ISP's network, does change. PPPoE authentication info isn't tied to
> a DSL line (I can use my login and password from anybody's
> bellsouth.net DSL line). So, the ISP can't assume, that just
> because they see traffic from a particular customer, that the
> customer's traffic is coming from his DSL line. The ISP needs to
> ask the access provider where that traffic physically originates from.

I was attempting to note that this information is static. Regardless
of how the traffic flows in the network, the location of the DSL end
point remains the same. Therefore, this information could be passed
on the forms filled out in triplicate when the customer signs up.
Even if this does not happen, some identifier relating to the
customer has to be provisioned that can be used as a reference.

That being said, if you feel the information is dynamic and in need
to a protocol so that it can be updated, I'll take your work for it.

> As a side note, I hope there's no expectation that we would
> calculate, derive, or measure geo locations for service addresses.
> My expectation is that we would only have a civic location. We
> certainly won't be going out and measuring, and I've heard it's a
> bad idea to create geo data based on a civic address. [Comment on
> "I think both the civic and geodetic location of the DSL line's
> service address is known".]

Ultimately, that is up to the applications you wish to support.
Geodetic is better for targeting artillery. Civic is better for
dispatching emergency services. I suspect you care more for the
latter than the former.

-andy