RE: [Geopriv] Geopriv L7 LCP: New Requirement

From: g.caron@bell.ca
Date: Wed Feb 14 2007 - 15:42:48 EST

Andrew,

<Your requirement is that you need to communicate the
location of a subscriber from the DSL provider to the ISP.>

I agree with you and it would go like this:

0) VEP discovers the targeted LIS based on IP address and finds the ISP LIS
1) VEP sends a request for location to ISP LIS with IP Address over L7-LAP
2) ISP LIS recognizes the IP address as being in its realm and performs DB lookup to find L2TP info + ASP LIS URL (in this use case)
3) ISP LIS sends a request for location to ASP LIS with L2TP info over L7-LAP
4) ASP LIS recognizes L2TP info + ISP LIS credentials and performs DB lookup to find LO
5) ASP LIS responds to ISP LIS with LO over L7-LAP which forwards to VEP over L7-LAP

Note: ASP stands for Access Service Provider, sometimes called Access Infrastructure Provider (AIP). It is the operator of the physical network (in this case, DSL).

< What is the point of putting a requirement in a document if the
intent is not to do anything with it?>

If the above represents what you envision as well, and your position remains unchanged on this specific use case of LS-LS being already addressed by geopriv, therefore making it a requirement for all L2-LCPs and L7-LAPs to support it, then it may not be of value indeed.

I would appreciate if you could confirm that is the case.

Regards,

Guy Caron