Re: [Geopriv]WGLCondraft-ietf-geopriv-l7-lcp-ps-00(PIDF-LOdigitalsignatures)

From: Henning Schulzrinne ^lt;hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 21:00:30 EST

As a side note, the 'accredited' thing is a red herring, either way.
Signed location information is only meaningful if the location signer
is 'accredited', i.e., known to be reputable, to the PSAP. After all,
anybody, with a stolen credit card if necessary, can buy a
certificate, based solely on possession of a domain name, from
reputable CAs. That certificate can be used to sign any location
information. Thus, signing is only meaningful if the signer is known
and accountable.

Now, it may well be that the number of signers is lower or more
easily knowable in one or the other case, but the principle is the
same. We have gone through the 'who can sign' before, so I won't
repeat that particular discussion.