RE: [Geopriv] I-DACTION:draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery-00.txt

From: peter_blatherwick@mitel.com
Date: Mon Jun 11 2007 - 13:03:13 EDT

Hi,

Hoping I'm not about to step on a land mine ...

> .. as opposed to something proprietary like Cisco Discovery
> Protocolas RELO suggests

While I don't think specifying something proprietary would be a good thing
(bad actually -- I would oppose CDP), I just wanted to point out the RELO
actually talks about several possible ids, not just CDP. RELO also
mentions MAC address, LLDP (by extension LLDP-MED would be there also),
and mentions all in the context of "such as" which I read to mean "for
example". So, I do not surmise that the intent was to propose
"proprietary" solution, as alluded below.

The held-identity-extensions draft also talks about LLDP. In both RELO
and held-identity-extensions, in presence of LLDP, I fail to see why the
L7 protocol would be used at all in general practice. If the switching
environment supports LLDP / LLDP-MED, then why not use it to directly
supply the location objects. Adding the L7 moving parts would make things
less reliable in those cases. (I can see how there might be cases where
L7 is needed, however do not see it for the general rule. In those cases,
supplying these ids may add value.)

-- Peter

"Winterbottom, James" <James.Winterbottom@andrew.com>
08.06.07 19:39