RE: [Geopriv] WGLC: draft-ietf-geopriv-pidf-lo-profile-07.txt

From: Roger Marshall ^lt;RMarshall@telecomsys.com>
Date: Thu Jun 21 2007 - 18:44:09 EDT

James:
I still don't understand. Let me try again, by defining terms.

-- Location Determination: method by which a location is 'calculated' or
'given'. This could be, for example something like trilateration (often
referred to as triangulation), or manually input (provisioned),
respectively.

This definition is similar, but not exactly the same as what you've
stated in another of your drafts,
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thomson-geopriv-held-capabili
ties-01.txt), since your definition doesn't take into account manual
inputs:

  Location Determination: The process of finding the location of a
      Device, either by calculation or correlation. The many-varied
      processes for location determination are outside the scope of this
      document.

-- Location Configuration: method by which a location is 'acquired' into
an end device or middlebox, for subsequent use in a location-based
operation (e.g., LoST routing).

My following assertions are based on the above defns.

In the pidf-lo-profile draft, rules 3 & 5 text talk about determination,
not configuration. From prior email, it sounds like the intent of 3 & 5
is for configuration, not determination. If so, let's change the term.

My original point around rule 5 was that, if you don't change the term
from determination to configuration, then rule 5 cannot always work -
since a lat/lon produced via trilateration and a bldg. floor produced by
extrapolation are NOT the same (determination) method - thus violating
the rule.

My point to rule 3, was that the justification text should likewise be
changed to 'configured' instead of 'determined' for all the same
reasons.

-roger marshall.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, or responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review, forwarding, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication or any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please so notify the sender immediately, and delete it and all attachments from your computer and network.