RE: [Geopriv] draft agenda: GEOPRIV @ IETF 70

From: James M. Polk ^lt;jmpolk@cisco.com>
Date: Wed Nov 21 2007 - 16:52:11 EST

Well then, this WG voted in Prague for a layer 3 LbyR delivery
mechanism, yet you voiced strong opposition for my draft which
proposes this in DHCP, which is a protocol Geopriv already has 2
Standards Track RFCs supporting. I personally heard your loud hum
against moving this ID forward as a WG item, because you want a more
detailed architecture supporting how DHCP can deliver a URI to an
endpoint. This is something neither RFC 3825 or RFC 4776 have in
place, yet this ID is burdened with this responsibility in your
mind. I don't think there's precedent for that opinion.

You even said you don't think anything in DHCP should progress in
another email.

So, we're left to this little problem of the WG agreeing in Prague a
DHCP solution is necessary for this WG, and you acting against
anything DHCP (contrary to the WG's existing wishes).

I say all this, because the WG thinks there is a use-case for DHCP to
do this, and I have this document (just like you mention below)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-polk-geopriv-dhcp-lbyr-uri-option-02.txt
with one remaining open issue (I added your request for a "Valid-for"
timer) - it's your mandate it include an architecture (unlike the
other DHCP RFCs have from this group) that doesn't involve a DHCP
Protocol, so what's the difference? Should I take this personal too?
As a force of habit with this WG?

BTW - wrt this revised ID -- I know I have to work specifying how to
prevent less trustworthy URI types from being allowed. I'm working
with the APPS AD on this.

James