RE: [Geopriv] Message Flow

From: Brian Rosen ^lt;br@brianrosen.net>
Date: Fri Nov 23 2007 - 19:18:17 EST

> >> There is obviously a difference between the end host doing the job and
> >> the proxy doing it. There is no difference between the two approaches.
> >>
> > I'm pointing out a difference between them. In the endpoint route, the
> PSAP
> > knows the location used for routing. In the proxy case, it doesn't.
> >

> Well. That's not entirely correct if you consider the context draft in
> addition. It allows you to indicate to what the reference points.
> http://tools.ietf.org/wg/geopriv/draft-winterbottom-geopriv-held-context-
> 01.txt
No, that is not sufficient. The PSAP (or any location recipient) can't do
anything that would get it the location the proxy got.

> > Yes, and I don't like it. We may want to have the E-CSCF act as a B2BUA
> and
> > insert a body.
> >
> Or a DATA URI. That was proposed and rejected....
We were advised it wouldn't fly in the IESG. If you want to re-raise the
issue, Henning would be happy.

> >> That happens.
> >>
> >> What is the alternative?
> >>
> > When the endpoint routes, it puts the location used for routing in the
> > signaling.
> >

> For the architectures we are talking about this is not really the
> alternative. You know that.
Require it to be a B2BUA and put in the body?

> >> You might have also realized that there is no question about end host
> >> and proxy adding location information. These architectural choices
> are
> >> already cast in stone based on the way how existing SIP communication
> >> models work.
> >>
> > Of course. I'm pointing out yet another problem in trying to get
> proxies to
> > add location.
> >

> To be honest, there are also problems when the end host gets the
> location information. Just consider the entire debate about location
> signing.
In general, a location recipient can't trust a proxy. I'll admit it's got a
higher probability of being correct. I want location signing or some
equivalent.