RE: OBO (was - RE: [Geopriv] Message Flow, again)

From: Brian Rosen ^lt;br@brianrosen.net>
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 10:39:50 EST

Suppose I am an ISP and I lease services from an underlying access network.
I want to supply a LIS for my customers. I contract with my underlying
access network to give me location for my customers.

I run a real LIS. My access network provider runs a real LIS. I need to
get location for my customers. That's LIS-LIS. I am giving LIS to
endpoints. That's why I want to differentiate.

In my notion of OBO, an intermediary is inserting location on behalf of an
endpoint. To me, that's an entirely different thing. I claim the
intermediary is not a LIS; it's getting location from a LIS and putting it
into a "call". The proxy is a client to a LIS. There is no client to the
intermediary.

It's okay with me if the protocols for this are the same, but I think the
use case is different, and the roles are different.