Re: [Geopriv] geolocation-HELD add-on for Firefox

From: Richard Barnes ^lt;richard.barnes@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Nov 10 2008 - 08:39:36 EST

There's not much integration required, besides both sides speaking
HELD. The LIS that I tested against (and the default in the plugin)
is a Perl CGI script that uses some rough IP geo techniques to provide
a location for most IP addresses. I wrote that LIS independently of
this plugin, and although testing revealed some bugs in both (and
Martin T has pointed out some more bugs in the LIS), I didn't need to
do anything beyond implementing the standard to make things work.
Standards work!

As far as integration within the browser, Firefox has a layered
architecture for geolocation, where a web page queries an
implementation of the W3C Geolocation API, and the API queries a
Location Provider (e.g., this extension), which passes back a location
object. Right now, the only real fields in the API's location object
are lat/long/altitude (no civic or rules), so while we do pull more
stuff (including civic and rules) out of the PIDF-LO we get over HELD,
we can't pass them up through the API.

--Richard