[Geopriv] LIS Discovery: just like LoST

From: Thomson, Martin ^lt;Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
Date: Tue Apr 14 2009 - 21:17:08 EDT

Hi All,

It has been proposed to adopt a LIS discovery mechanism like that used in LoST (RFC 5222 & 5223).

After consultation, we've identified a few folks who we're going to seek review from, with the plan being to close this work very soon - it's holding up a few other documents.

I intend to submit the following as -10:

  <http://held-location.sourceforge.net/draft-ietf-geopriv-lis-discovery-09a.txt>

There are a number of reasons why this solution is superior:

 - It's exactly like LoST.* This avoids differing and confusing solutions to a superficially similar problem.

 - The security story is a lot simpler and easier to explain and understand.

Depending on your perspective, which might also be considered advantages:

 - It allows network operators the choice of providing different URIs.

 - There's machinery in here that ALTO can use for their very similar discovery problem.

 - It fits in well with the proposed method in the residential gateway discovery document.

The only disadvantage is the addition of a mandatory DNS (U-NAPTR) resolution step. Richard might suggest that this doesn't always result in extra work, but I plan not to take notice because this only works if you don't care for authentication.

--Martin

* Yes, I know there were problems with LoST discovery, but those were resolved.

this email is prohibited.