Re: [Geopriv] Web-based DHCP location encoder

From: Richard Barnes ^lt;rbarnes@bbn.com>
Date: Wed Apr 15 2009 - 11:42:50 EDT

Count me in with the folks who think there needs to be some sort of
indicator as to which interpretation is being communicated. Attaching
two different semantics to the exactly the same set of bits is the
definition of non-interoperability.

Looking at the 3825 format, it seems that the "datum" field is the only
one where there's any chance of accommodating this indicator. Defining
a single new datum is one way of doing it. Another way might be to
split the field half: A 4-bit datum field (do we need more than 31
data?) and 4 bits of flags (one for this, and three for later use).

| Datum | ---> | Flags | Datum |

If you add the caveat that all flags being zero indicates the use of the
3825 encoding, this remains bitwise backward-compatible with 3825 (since
a 3825 server will set all flags to zero).

--Richard