Re: [Geopriv] Web-based DHCP location encoder

From: Winterbottom, James ^lt;James.Winterbottom@andrew.com>
Date: Wed Apr 15 2009 - 18:51:21 EDT

I am not so sure that I understand how this will help.
If the data is encoded using the BIS format then no old client is going
to be any the wiser. In fact if you go around setting bit in fields that
it doesn't understand, it is just as likely to go around rejecting the
option as containing an error.

My proposal would be that we don't do any indication. If you have a BIS
client, great, you get a non-broken view of the world, and you treat all
encodings as BIS. If you don't then if you get a BIS encoded option,
then you are not really any worse off than if it wasn't encoded that
way.

So I am in opposition to providing a differentiator as you can't do this
without breaking backward compatibility.

Cheers
James