[Geopriv] draft-ietf-geopriv-rfc3825bis

From: Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo) ^lt;hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>
Date: Tue Aug 10 2010 - 03:33:47 EDT

Hi all,

during the GEOPRIV meeting I mentioned missing text in
draft-ietf-geopriv-rfc3825bis regarding security.

DHCP does not provide confidentiality protection as a built-in feature.
As Marc mentioned in response to issue#23 (see
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/geopriv/trac/ticket/23) every target would
be given the exact same location information on a shared medium.

Unfortunately, the security consideration section does not mention this
aspect with a single word. Hence, I suggest to add:

"
   Since there is no confidentiality protection for DHCP messages, an
   eavesdropper who can monitor the link between the DHCP server and
   requesting client can discover this LCI. In cases where multiple
   hosts share the same link and can therefore see each others DHCP
   messages the DHCP MUST NOT hand out location for individual hosts
   but MUST rather provide location of the DHCP relay, DHCP server,
   or a similar device instead. This ensures that none of the end
   devices are able to learn exact information of the other hosts
   on the same network.
"

Ciao
Hannes