Re: [Geopriv] Latest on draft-ietf-geopriv-relative-location-01.txt?

From: Cliff Behrens ^lt;cliff@research.telcordia.com>
Date: Thu Sep 08 2011 - 10:38:06 EDT

Brian,

This is very helpful. So if I understand you correctly, one could use
the location information in a PIDF-LO to build a query to a LoST server,
and it would provide a pointer to the object one wanted, e.g., a
floorplan or BIM. This works for me, but seems so straightforward that
it also makes me wonder why relative location information belongs in the
PIDF-LO. Why not merely use the services provided by LoST to get
relative location and other information?

Most applications may not require BIMs, but some like CityGML provide
enough detail that one should be able to derive many products, e.g., a
floorplan, from them. And there is an active group within the OGC,
i.e., the IndoorML folks, who are working on a standard for representing
navigation routes derived from CityGML. As for information other than a
BIM required for emergency services, some of it may actually be provided
by references in the BIM. For example, from the latest version (1.1.0)
of the OGC® City Geography Markup Language (CityGML) Encoding Standard:

/3D objects are often derived from or have relations to objects in other
databases or data sets. For example, a 3D
building model may have been constructed from a two-dimensional
footprint in a cadastre data set, or may be
derived from an architectural model (Fig. 5). The reference of a 3D
object to its corresponding object in an
external data set is essential, if an update must be propagated or if
additional data is required, for example the
name and address of a building’s owner in a cadastral information system
or information on antennas and doors
in a facility management system. In order to supply such information,
each _CityObject may refer to external
data sets ... using the concept of ExternalReference. Such a reference
denotes the external information system
and the unique identifier of the object in this system. Both are
specified as a Uniform Resource Identifier (URI),
which is a generic format for references to any kind of resources on the
internet. The generic concept of external
references allows for any _CityObject an arbitrary number of links to
corresponding objects in external information
systems (e.g. ALKIS, ATKIS, OS MasterMap®, GDF, etc.)./

Thanks again for your input.

Cliff